I can confirm that there's rather a lot of bandwidth available.  It's
on a different internal network, but my desk gets 100Mbps down and
over half that up.  If the data was actually coming from the 511
Building directly (as opposed to just going through there) it would be
faster than the NIC in your machine could handle.  :P

Additionally, we did prepare a new box this time around to serve as a
dedicated disk burning machine.  We only had the Ubuntu ISOs
pre-loaded on it, but I would be happy to add anything you request for
next time.

As far as I know, we've always been open to multiple distros, but
usually the focus is on Ubuntu just because that's what people are
interested in.  The only one I recall seeing a significant number of
people checking out before is Fedora.  We also need to be careful
about who this is for - trying to explain to newcomers that there are
300 different distros for them to choose from is overwhelming.  IMO
it's better for actual newcomers to just be given one to try out, and
then at their second or third installfest they can delve further into
the options available if they wish.  We don't want to scare people
away with too much information - there's already plenty for them to
process!

I'd tend to agree that pre-burning a bunch of CDs/DVDs would be a
waste - better to have the images and media on hand and burn as
needed.

One thing that could be kind of fun that we don't have would be a
machine with a bunch of distros actually installed, so people could
boot into any of them to check them out.

Jason - regarding during-installation downloads on Ubuntu, you should
know that a) that's an option, not required, and b) we finally got the
local archive mirror working such that you can use that option without
going out to the Internet at all.

We don't have the disk space on fish (the archive mirror) for distros
other than Ubuntu, but we do have plenty of disk space on the ISO
burning machine, so shoot me your requests and I'll try to get them
loaded for April.

 - Tony