On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 11:44 -0600, ron at ron-l-j.com wrote:
> My company ,E-commerce based business, is running Q-mail and has a spam
> issue. The server is Redhat and, I am wondering why the hosting provider
> would choose Qmail over Postfix? From what I can see it looks like Qmail
> is a perl program and the daemon running is perl. Is this more secure than
> Postfix? I am inheriting this problem and would like to use postfix and
> spam assassin. Apparently there is a bug in the latest version of spam
> assassin and I have to roll back versions. Please let me know what you
> think. Thank you, Ron

For free, off the shelf, MTA my vote is Postfix. It performed very well
for us handling hundreds of thousands of emails per day. It is very
configurable, very secure, and pretty easy to use/configure.

As dealing with email/spam configurations is pretty boring/annoying to
me now-a-days I would recommend looking at commercial anti-spam service
systems where you only need to change your MX record to use the service
then do all of your configuring through a web GUI. That is of course
assuming you have more than a $0 budget to work with.

<gentle sales pitch>
I work for a company that has a service like this and is written
completely from the ground up in house and from scratch. Let me know if
you're interested.
</pitch>