On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:35 PM, John Meier <john.meier at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Olwe Bottorff <galanolwe at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> I might be in the market for a tablet.
>

> * Viewsonic gTablet 10.1" *
> http://cgi.ebay.com/350463680103?clk_rvr_id=233115202314#ht_11220wt_1141
> (tiger direct via ebay sale)
>
> $275 + free shipping.  I think I read somewhere someone was porting ubuntu
>  to run on the hardware.  There's also a bunch of android based hacks for it
> too.  Isn't the android OS based off the linux kernel?
>
> I have a gTablet, it's crap. I should qualify that, though. It's actually
excellent hardware, except for the screen. The screen is a standard netbook
screen, with narrow viewing angles. Moving it more than a few degrees from
the optimal viewing angle causes solarization of the image. It's also a
little on the chunky side, kind of uncomfortable to hold.

Software is bad. Very bad. There is a work-in-progress Ubuntu port, and all
possible Android ROMs available for it should be considered a work in
progress as well. This includes the stock firmware. I found it to be a fun
toy, since it's very hackable and nearly unbrickable, but mostly it is only
useful for playing Angry Birds and occasional web browsing.

Mine is getting sold or traded this week, now that the novelty has worn off.
Any interest here?

-Steve McGrath