On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 02:26:25AM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
>>> That's what matters to me with Skype.  It's a paying service anyway.
>>> It might not even be possible to develop a free-software/open-source
>>> solution for that because people might find ways to cheat -- I'm sure
>>> that's a major concern.
>>
>> There are three kinds of expenses:  the equipment, the bandwidth and
>> the connection to POTS.  There isn't much you can cheat on any of them
>> before you can call it outright stealing.
>
> Obviously (I thought), the part I would think Skype would be concerned
> about (with regard to free software) was the POTS aspect and billing.

How is that different than you accessing a service provided by Comcast
/ Qwest using free software?  You are using a standard protocol
(TCP/IP) to connect to them.  Can you download/upload faster/more than
your contract?  No, unless there is a misconfiguration on their part.

> There is another thing that I didn't think to mention earlier -- they
> have some kind of scheme where they use your bandwidth while Skype is
> running in the background.  Here's something about it:
>
> http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/02/24/skype-steals-bandwidth-%E2%80%94-even-when-you-are-not-using-it/
>
> I once heard that it had something to do with routing calls, but I don't
> know what they are doing.  I keep it fully off unless I'm actually using
> it or expecting a call.

It is similar to bittorrent.  Some of the 'lucky' users become routers
routers and the voice data is routed in a peer-to-peer fashion from
point A to point B.

> It would be nice to have a free-software solution that allows POTS
> billing and has a central registry to allow people to call to a computer.
>  What do you think?  Can that be done?

Sure.  Use Asterix and a VOIP provider.  There are/were people on the
list who ditched their hard phone line and were making calls with
VOIP.  I have no VOIP-fu but I know that It is like Vonage, OOMA, etc
but you don't get a piece of hardware from them, instead you use your
own PC and VOIP phone.

Cheers,
florin

--
Don't question authority!  They don't know either.