On Tue, 10 May 2011, Florin Iucha wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 02:26:46PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> That's what matters to me with Skype.  It's a paying service anyway.
>> It might not even be possible to develop a free-software/open-source
>> solution for that because people might find ways to cheat -- I'm sure
>> that's a major concern.
>
> There are three kinds of expenses:  the equipment, the bandwidth and the
> connection to POTS.  There isn't much you can cheat on any of them
> before you can call it outright stealing.

Obviously (I thought), the part I would think Skype would be concerned
about (with regard to free software) was the POTS aspect and billing.
There is another thing that I didn't think to mention earlier -- they have
some kind of scheme where they use your bandwidth while Skype is running
in the background.  Here's something about it:

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/02/24/skype-steals-bandwidth-%E2%80%94-even-when-you-are-not-using-it/

I once heard that it had something to do with routing calls, but I don't
know what they are doing.  I keep it fully off unless I'm actually using
it or expecting a call.

It would be nice to have a free-software solution that allows POTS billing
and has a central registry to allow people to call to a computer.  What do
you think?  Can that be done?

Mike