On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 09:36:27PM -0500, James wrote:
> Since this is a redhat shop someone knowing only ubuntu would spend
> most of there time trying to figure out the redhat commands.

Not so much, no.  My Linux background is very Debian-centric, but I had
no day-to-day problems at all a decade ago when I was first called on to
admin Red Hat and Mandrake systems.  Yeah, I occasionally tried looking
in /var/log/syslog first before going to /var/log/messages and, true,
all the web-server-related stuff was in .../httpd/ instead of
.../apache/, but that takes, what, maybe a second once or twice a day,
if that, to try one location first, then go to the other?  Package
management via rpm was more of an issue, but it didn't come up anywhere
near on a daily (or even monthly) basis, so it didn't really matter if I
had to check man first; today, yum is very similar to apt, so I'm right
at home with it.  Red Hat vs. Debian differences didn't take up even 1%
of my time then and much, much less now.

So I've gotta agree with Carl.  Linux is Linux.

--
Dave Sherohman