On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:35:34AM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
>> UofM has reasonably competent system and network admins.
>
> Right, but they don't support Linux in my department, so all they gave me
> were the IP addresses.  Is it hard to properly set up the printer on the
> network?

Define 'properly'.  If they enabled IPP on a postscript printer that
is all you would need, apart from maybe telling you the address 8^)

> I should have known those cheap printers couldn't handle postscript!  But
> the open printing and CUPS lists will help a lot (thanks, guys):
>
> http://www.openprinting.org/printers
> http://www.cups.org/ppd.php
>
> The thing is, I don't want to spend a lot on a home printer.  I could
> drop both the color and duplex features.  If I can print boarding passes
> and sheet music, that's probably enough (I do most printing at work), and
> those need neither color nor duplex.  Having the printer on the home
> network would help a lot, though.  So maybe I can live without
> postscript, too.  I'm revising my plan:
>
> (1) works with Linux
> (2) networkable
> (3) less than $150
>
> If it does color and duplex, that's good, but if not, that's OK.  I can
> always get around the duplexing issue by printing every other page and
> refeeding them (I think it's usually even pages in reverse order, then
> odd pages in normal order).

Brother and Samsung have good reputations.  Be careful with
re-feeding: some paper gets visibly 'modified' when passing through a
laser printer and when you feed it the second time it jams.

Look for an HP LaserJet 5 or 6 that could be had for $50, and find a
network server on eBay (another 25-30) and you should be all set.  But
it will print a page every other minute 8^)  If you are in a hurry,
get a Brother or a mid-level HP laser (skip the cheapest ones).

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163