On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Justin Krejci wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 12:12 -0500, Andrew Berg wrote:
>
>> On 2011.03.21 11:42 AM, Justin Krejci wrote:
>>
>>> Perl and Python I know work on Windows really well and should be able
>>> to do all of your grep/sed/tr type work with no difficulties at all.
>>
>> Can I use either for everyday command line stuff like I would with
>> bash?
>
> Not Perl or Python no, but you can with Cygwin. In fact I've just keep a
> bunch of cygwin .exe and .dll files around on my USB flash drive and
> copy them to c:\bin and then add that directory to the global "PATH"
> windows variable so I can use grep, ls, df, du, sort, uniq, tar, gzip,
> cmp, diff, file, tail, etc.

I agree that Cygwin is a great system for Windows.  I'm not sure of what
the minimal installation is because I usually install pretty much all of
it.  I also keep it on a flash drive.  Look here for info on how to
install to a portable drive:

http://www.google.com/search?q=portable+cygwin

It gives you a bash shell and loads of utilities.  It is much like running
Linux inside of Windows.  Of course, it isn't the same thing.  One
noticeable difference is that doing file listings with "ls" seems very
slow most of the time.

Mike