On 03/21 02:54 , J Cruit wrote:
> I knew I shouldn't have continued to read this thread, I may have to go buy
> one of those now.  I could see how you could totally hack their design to
> make a cool massive computer system.

Using the prebuilt hardware has some advantages.
The homebuilt airplane community has some pretty impressive workbenches at
times. Here's one useful thread:

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/workshop-tips-secrets-tools/4456-my-workbench-build-sorry-long-lots-pics.html

Just keep this piece of wisdom in mind:

"No matter how many work benches you have and how big they are, your free
working area is always exactly six square inches.  I have nine work benches
and I cant find a piece of space to work on." -- George Sychrovsky

Given more ambition and surety about how I want things laid out, I might very
well be mounting monitors and even smaller items on repositionable arms so
they 'float' around my workspace and can be pushed hither, thither, and yon.

Of course, the extension of that thought would be to get a display about
3'x6' (or appearing to be about that size on a head-mounted VR display) and
push VNC windows around. ;)

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator