That's pretty much what I do now - put some keyboards/laptops on the
"desk" part, with the 'main' keyboard on the keyboard trey. That's... ok,
but not very good ergonomically.

Plus... the three monitors on my current desk are all hooked up to one
computer (with VNCs/etc going to other machines). I'm going to need space
for additional screens, too, which means a bigger desk (or an additional
desk) and I just thought, hey, why not just rearrange my entire office.
And since I'm doing THAT, may as well make a cool multi-keyboard kinda
thing.

Honestly the saddest thing here is that I refuse to sit with my back to
the door, even in my home office. Then I could mount all the screens on
the wall and have a small keyboard-rack or something...