On Sat, 12 Mar 2011, Robert Nesius wrote:

> I think Canonical gets a bit of a bad rap.  They are pushing a
> debian-based distro with a six-month release cycle - which is exactly
> what a lot of people wanted.  They also have done a lot of work on
> integration.  I don't know the whole story, but there has been friction
> between the Gnome community and Canonical for awhile - as from reading
> the posts above it seems Gnome leadership has been somewhat dickish
> about some of the issues at play.
>
> I'm interested in objective criticisms of Ubuntu.  Not so much in people
> bagging on it to look 1337.

When I see people calling it "noob"untu, I think they are trying to tell
me they are more experienced users who don't need an easy-to-use distro.
I've been using Unix and Linux systems for more than 20 years and I
greatly prefer something easy that requires almost nothing from me as a
user.  If it's easy to install and just works, that's great.  I would
prefer to have no sysadmin skills at all and have a system with good,
secure default settings that never fails.  Having readily available,
up-to-date packages is important.  For me Ubuntu is working fine.  If
there is something better, I'd like to know, but I wouldn't want it if
it's going to take a lot of time to figure it out.

Mike