On Thu, June 23, 2011 3:26 pm, Yaron wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, mark.katerberg at gmail.com wrote:
>

>> I use banshee. Inb4 mono hate
>
> Bandhee doesn't even see that I have a CD in the drive. Banshee in general
> doesn't really behave on my system. Might have something to do with not
> running Gnome or KDE.

My guess is Banshee isn't see the CD due to issues with udev and whatever
services banshee usually uses to interface with udev.

What window manager are you using these days?

> I used to use grip before. Put a CD in, it sees it, CDDb (or freedb or
> whatevers it), rips it to FLAC in a prearranged dir structure.

I broke down and switched over to gnome a year or two ago. The only
problems I have had with grip in the past few years relate to that and
are also related to udev et al.  Sometimes the auto mounting stuff under
gnome won't wouldn't let grip eject CDs. Since I had grip setup to auto
rip, it would continually rip the same CD till I manually ejected it.

Anyway, if grip isn't supported on your distro, have you tried just using
an old package?  You could have the package manager ignore the version
parts of the dependencies.  I bet all of the relevant libraries are still
available.