How does the typical workplace do on the Joel Test (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000043.html)?  Joel says that a score of 10 or less is bad, though I suspect that only a small percentage of companies are 11 or 12.  He says that most companies only rate a 2 or 3, which sounds very bad.

I'm not that interested in perks like free pop (I don't drink it, and it's unhealthy), free beer (I don't drink it, and it would be bad for my concentration), foosball (nice to have but certainly not necessary), the right to bring my pet to work (since I have no pets), etc.  If the work environment isn't right, no perks can make up for it.

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com>
Founder and lead developer of Swift Linux (http://www.swiftlinux.org)