Something that may help clarify your thinking is that for the OSI-approved
Free-OSS licenses, usage isn't what's being governed.  The big trigger issue
is redistribution and what happens when someone redistributes your code -
especially commercial redistribution.

Here are some examples:
Example A)
You make FooProg and use the GPL.   A company takes FooProg, makes changes
and improvements, and redistributes it (sells it or, or bundles it with
something else they sell).  They have to publish their changes to Foo_Prog,
and FooProg must stay GPL'd.  Even if they changed FooProg's name to
FooProg2, FooProg2 must be GPL'd and they must publish sources.  (I think
this example is why LinkSys was forced to publish their sources for the
routers back in the day.  They used GPL sources and got caught.)

Example B)
You make FooProg and use the GPL.  A company picks it up, tweaks it, and
make it available for internal use.  They have not legally redistributed
your code, and do not have to publish the changes.  It's the same as you
playing around with changes to GPL'd software in your own home - you don't
have to share those changes.

Example C)
You make a library and use the LGPL.  A company uses it to provide
functionality in a product.  If I understand correctly, their product does
not have to be (L)GPL'd, but they likely must make the sources to the
library available publicly.

Example D)
You make a library and use the BSD license.  A company picks it up, makes
some changes to it and uses it in a product they sell.  I don't think they
have to publish their changes in this instance, nor must their product be
licensed with the BSD license either. Note - I'm a little fuzzier on the BSD
license, though to echo what someone wrote earlier generally companies are
okay with approach Open Source Software if it's BSD, and are very wary of
GPL'd software when it comes to product development.

Standard I'm not a lawyer disclaimers apply - but you can see how the intent
of the BSD and GPL licenses differ.  The GPL wants to keep your software
where everyone can benefit from it and wants to prevent it from being
co-opted - that was Stallman's focus.  The BSD is more like "Here's some
stuff.  Use it, play with it, whatever...."

-Rob