If you do GPL, then anybody who uses your code in their commercial
product will be required to redistribute their source, which most people
do not want to do.  If your code was in a library, then LGPL would be
better so they wouldn't have to give away their code.  If you plan to
sell your app, perhaps a dual license GPL/proprietary would be better
for you.

If you pick BSD/MIT/Apache, then others can give away your code, sell
it, do whatever they want, as long as they include your copyright
notice.  Apache license has some nice patent protection clauses.

Look and see if there are similar open source apps to what yours does
and see what license they use.  I find that you should just go with the
flow depending on what your code does.  For example, Wordpress and
Drupal plugins should be GPL, Apache modules should be Apache licensed,
nginx modules should be BSD licensed, PHP extensions should be PHP
licensed, and so on.

When you choose your license, you are choosing your community.  BSD
licensed projects attract different people than GPL licensed projects...
meaning, if it's GPL licensed, some big companies won't touch it with a
ten foot pole, but BSD/Apache licensed projects can gain corporate
interest.  Look at MySQL (GPL), not many people contribute to it that
aren't Oracle (Sun) employees.

Personally, who cares?  Based on my experience, most people will not
care about your project.  I would choose either BSD or Apache license.
Give away the code.  People might be more interested in helping out.
Forks of your code that are sold are never as successful as the free
core project.  The core project has a name for itself, it has the
contributors, it has the momentum.  Not many (if any) forked projects
could keep up with the core project.

Best of luck,
-Chris