On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Mike Miller wrote:

> I'm doing almost everything from the command line, but I need things like a
> web browser and sometimes I watch a movie using VLC.  I also use VNC viewer
> all the time on this machine.  So I need X to be working.  Is it possible to
> have that without having something like Gnome on?

I'm not anti-X. I use X all the time, I just start it from the commandline
rather than through GDM or something. I personally use Window Maker, but
as the previous person said, you use whatever you're comfortable with.
I've been usin Window Maker since the 90s and never had a good reason to
switch (;

-Yaron