On Sun, 10 Jul 2011, Yaron wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> Ah, ha, ha -- I figured it out.  The tech at Gen Nano had left the
>> Nvidia RAID (fakeRAID?) enabled, and that was screwing it up.
>
> Haha. Yeah, I guess it wasn't seeing boot devices at all. Oops (:
>
>> Any idea why I don't get gnome?
>
> Because you're a good person and true of heart, and the gods are
> rewarding you.
>
> Seriously though, I'm wondering if you had radically different video
> cards and somehow X got configured for what you had before. See if
> there's an /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and if there is, rename it to something
> else.

The thing is - I have the same video card.  It's possible that it got
screwed up at the same time as the mobo, I guess.

I do see a bunch of stuff in the logs about Nvidia.  I guess there are a
bunch of Nvidia chips on the mobo (e.g., the fakeRAID was Nvidia).

>> Previously, holding down the shift key had no effect because it didn't
>> get that far.  Now it boots, so maybe it doesn't matter anymore.
>
> Yeah, that shouldn't really matter... except you might see some errors
> when X tries to start. Then again you can just login on the console and
> type "startx" and see what it throws at you.

OK.  I'll try that.  Meanwhile, I'm having a heck of a time just getting
the new installation on the software RAID 1 to work.  There aren't a lot
of food instructions out there, and most of them don't seem to apply in my
exact situation for some reason (as in, an option that was supposed to be
present will be absent).  This seemed to get close...

http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,6075.msg24561.html?PHPSESSID=5lqsqu4o6a9lvn2q6f1qbdi2m1#msg24561

...but I wasn't able to make the boot partition bootable and the
installation would not boot.  When I'm told to turn the bootable flag "on"
and it says "off", I would think that something would change it to "on,"
but nothing does -- must be something wrong with the partition, I guess.

Mike