Drmgiver cried from the depths of the abyss...

> Again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_SubGenius#Slack
>
> This is where the name *Slack*ware came from.  That is why you will see
> "Bob" when in reference to Slackware.  That is why someone on this very
> group mentioned "Bob".  Again, it is an insult on Christianity.
>
> Justin

The reference to Bob is not a conspiracy

For the record my name is Robert.  During my youth people started calling
me Bob more than Robert.  In my post graduate days, a
very nice Irish girl I worked with in Chicago started calling my B-o-B
Bob.  20 years later, B-o-B has stuck.  This will explain the use
of Mr. B-o-B.

I first loaded up Slackware in the mid 90's [and have been using it ever
since(there was a small affair with Red Hat, Debian, & others to be sure)].
I based this decision on a few friends advice, and a quote I saw in some
Usenet group that basically said "One who learns Red Hat learns Red Hat.
One who learns Slackware learns Linux".  That was pretty profound I
thought (since at that time I really wanted to get into Linux).  Another
thing I liked about Slackware was the incorporation of
(oh boy here we go) J.R. "Bob" Dobbs smoking pipe with our beloved Tux.
A slightly unique Tux to stand apart from the rest.

For a visual, here is a link:

http://connie.slackware.com/~msimons/slackware/grfx/shared/dobbslack1.jpg

Honestly, my first go at open source was FreeBSD.  I solely based this
decision on the fact that their logo is the little devil dude!

I guess at the end of the day this doesn't matter much to anyone, I just
wanted to clear the air on the "Bob" thing.

Thanks!