The example I found in the past used  "system" rather than "exec".
However, either one works.

This is what I have for turning the camera "right"

<?php

exec ('irsend send_once --count=20 WL-V1 right');
?>

I created an html page with an href to cam-right.php. It works fine, but
by design launches cam-right.php, when all I really want to do is
execute it and stay on the page with the camera video and control menu.
Is there a good doc on creating a menu on a php page that just executes
the irsend commands?

The camera will send video out via svhs or composite to a capture card
on the server.