Wouldn't you know that I wrote all the stuff below and then found a great
answer here:

http://www.bernawebdesign.ch/byteblog/2010/10/14/ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat-on-eeepc-1005-ha/

That's better than I hoped for -- it turns off the tapping functionality
of the pad, which is really what I needed.  The pad always works to move
the mouse and clicking the buttons still works, but tapping the pad does
nothing, so I can't accidentally move the cursor while typing in emacs,
say.  I think I was sometimes pasting by tapping -- not sure how (could it
be ctrl-tap?), but that was often a real nightmare.

I tested the script and it's working.  I might try to bind it to a button
or to Fn-F3, but that hardly matters to me.  I think I'm OK with leaving
it in the tap-off state all the time.  This means I can use my netbook
without screaming.  It's great having this community with people who share
their excellent code and help so many of us.

I just linked the script to the little silver key.  It works.  It wasn't
too hard to do, but the trick was to first *search* for "keyboard
shortcuts", then add the full path to the script, save, highlight the new
line (under Custom Shortcuts), press the little silver key, close.  I
guess the little silver key is called "XF86Tools".  (Of course you have to
save the script and make it executable.)

Another point:

I was using Netbook Remix, but with 10.10 it looks like they've done away
with that and replaced it with something else.  Something I don't like as
much.  In fact, I would say that with 10.10, I found nothing better and
many things worse.  It also lost some of my settings, like not
automatically maximizing new windows -- now they are maximizing again.

What I was going to say:

I love this little netbook, but there's one thing that makes me crazy:
The touchpad is very close to the space bar and it's really impossible to
type comfortably without sometimes hitting the touchpad with the thumb.
The consequences of this misake can be very disruptive and annoying.

Does anybody here have a similar machine and know how to turn off the
touchpad and turn it back on?

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10, now, but was using 9.10 and 10.04 before this and
could never get Fn-F3 to toggle touch pad on/off consistently.  It used to
turn it off (in 10.04, Netbook Remix, I think), but then it would turn
itself back on pretty quickly.  There is also a silver button on the top
left side of the keyboard that is supposed to turn off the touchpad.  It
does nothing, but man, that would be fantastic if it worked.

Mike