On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Jeremy Olexa <jolexa at jolexa.net> wrote:

> On 02/18/2011 04:30 PM, Yaron wrote:
>
>> Um. Linux has been doing 64-bit for ages now. It's pretty much rock
>> solid. I can't think of any reason why you'd run in 32-bit on 64-bt
>> capable hardware unless you're going to be using 32-bit applications...
>> which you're probably not going to do.
>>

> Well, I still choose to install 32bit installs where I don't have >4G RAM
> since I don't /need/ to program for 64bit installs and/or have other 64bit
> hardware to test on. So, to answer the OP: do what you want ;)
>
> -Jeremy

32-bit software runs just fine on 64-bit platforms so long as all of their
requisite shared libraries are present, which is the same requirement they
have on 32-bit systems too. ;)  These days I don't even really think about
32-bit vs. 64-bit much anymore.  I go 64-bit by default and it hasn't caused
me any issues on Linux or Windows 7.  Ad the original poster noted - there
are key technologies that must be in place.  I suspect they are available in
a 64-bit world now - just verify that and you should be good to go.

-Rob