Eventually that application must do an exec, so you could wrap that exec
with some logging - if you wanted to hack the source.

Or....even better, wrap all of your binaries that might be run from gnome
with a script that does some logging and then execs the real binaries.

Those approaches aren't guaranteed to give the same result.  Which approach
is best depends on the question you're really asking:
Who is running binary X and when are they doing it?
-vs-
Who is choosing these options from the GUI in gnome?

If you wrap the binaries, then it doesn't matter how the binaries are run -
you'll see the invocation.

-Rob