From: Josh Paetzel <josh at tcbug.org>
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] vpn solutions
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:12:44 -0600
Mailer: KMail/1.13.5 (FreeBSD/8.1-RELEASE; KDE/4.4.5; amd64; ; )

On Friday, February 11, 2011 08:13:58 pm T L wrote:
> I think that there is a confusion between a public address and a static
> one. Dynamic DNS to the rescue?
>
> Thomas

Nope, that doesn't seem to be the confusion here.  His ISP has him behind NAT,
so he doesn't have a public IP that can be connected to.

Take my situation:

firewall external IP address is assigned by my DSL router via DHCP as
192.168.254.2

The DSL router gets a "public" IP of 192.168.254.254 from the DSLAM.

Something upstream does NAT. The IP that I see on the other end of my link is
74.38.80.1.  Hitting a website like whatismyip.com gives me a random IP in
74.38.80.0/24, but I can't connect back to that IP from a remote host, stuff
just dies at whatever is doing NAT.