I'm late to the thread, but I just did this on my home backup file server.

I had a 5x500gb raid 5 /dev/md1 which I reshaped by adding a 6th 500gb
drive into.  The reshaping tool about 20 hours, and then the ext3 resize
took another 5 hours.  All online, even continued to perform rsync
backups - no issues.

Gotta love mdadm!