On 9/1/2010 2:19 PM, Yaron wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Andy Schmid wrote:
>
>> The raid device /dev/md0 is just another block device, so why not create a
>> partition table on it?  I've noticed that most mdraid how-to's never mention
>> creating a partition table, any idea why it would be a bad idea to do this?
>
> Of course you can make partitions on it, but why would you want to? Honestly none of the
> howtos I saw said anything about making partitions. Plus, since I'm using the entire space
> for one filesystem, it didn't make a heck of a lot of sense.
>

> -Yaron

I agree with Yaron. If you wanted a more defined partition scheme for your RAID you might
as well just partition the physical disks and create a raid with those partitions.

For example

/dev/sda
/dev/sdb

/dev/sda and /dev/sdb will be partitioned into two primary partitions split down the
fictional cylinders.

/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb2

We can create one RAID 1 if we like using /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1
md0
We can create another using /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2.
md1

We can go further and partition md0 or 1 if we choose, but I don't see why. Just
complicates things further than they need to be. I think it is really just a matter of
personal preference.

~M