On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Tony Yarusso <tonyyarusso at gmail.com>wrote:

> No idea about the music files, but it's certainly possible in
> Windows-land....
>
> Well, I'm not a huge fan of Mint, since basically all it is is Ubuntu
> without caring about doing illegal things.  And Ubuntu's smart enough
> these days about fetching codecs when you need them that it's really
> not necessary anymore, so just running Ubuntu would get you the same
> experience while still being supported by the Ubuntu community.

Given the specs of the system something lighter would probably be better.
AntiX runs well with low ram usage and LUbuntu is only a bit heavier.

> 850MB should be enough to run anything he wants.  It may not be
> super-fast, but it will work plenty well for any normal person.

I run a dell laptop with 2.6ghz CPU and 625 ram and I will say that the
Ubuntu/KUbuntu new releases are really heavy on it. 9.04 was the last
release that didn't bog. Running XP in Virtualbox OSE is heavy and will keep
your CPU maxed much of the time. With Vista as the other OS I don't feel
that this system is up to the task.