No idea about the music files, but it's certainly possible in Windows-land....

Well, I'm not a huge fan of Mint, since basically all it is is Ubuntu
without caring about doing illegal things.  And Ubuntu's smart enough
these days about fetching codecs when you need them that it's really
not necessary anymore, so just running Ubuntu would get you the same
experience while still being supported by the Ubuntu community.

850MB should be enough to run anything he wants.  It may not be
super-fast, but it will work plenty well for any normal person.
Certainly dual-booting would give him better performance, but wubi or
virtualbox should be functional.  I've never tried wubi, and I must
say the concept sounds a bit sketchy, but from what I've heard
anecdotally it seems reasonably solid these days.  Perhaps start with
wubi and if performance bothers him move to dual-boot.

Note that if he's in the Twin Cities people will be having release
celebrations the next two Saturdays where they could help him out -
http://ubuntu-minnesota.org/regions/metro

 - Tony