do you mean to imply your ubuntu machines share a common connection to the
outside world with other machines that are working better?  perhaps there's
a subtle difference between configs, like ubuntu might direct dns via the
modem, perhaps others go more directly to the nameserver.  sounds likely
that your dhclient is functioning as expected.  can you ping your modem?
 can you ping the outside world?  can you ping the nameserver?  are you able
to resolve or pull up some names/pages but not others?  can you ping the
ones that don't resolve?  wouldn't be the first time an ISP's nameserver
wasn't functioning up to snuff, i've sometimes run my own for that very
reason.  dig is a good utility, or even "host" will be helpful, point either
at the dns server, can it resolve various domainnames?  does it work when
you point dig/host at the modem?  if iphouse is your isp, they're usually
pretty knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful....