Hello,

This weekend I have consolidated my servers into a single host with
multiple virtual machines, so I have the following former servers for
sale.  I built them to be virtually inaudible from 4-5 feet, using the
fine Antec NSK-2480 (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article591-page1.html)
case.  Because of the large two 12cm fans near the CPU/memory area, I
ran these servers without a fan mounted to the CPU heatsink, and the
temperatures never went above 40'C.

First up - barebones server $250:

   Case:        Antec NSK-2480
   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H (3 months old)
   CPU:         AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core
   Heatsink:    Scythe SCMNJ-1000 "Ninja Mini"
   RAM:         OCZ Platinum OCZ2P8002GK 4 sticks x 1GB
   CDROM:       Nec? DVD-RW
   HDD:         None

   This case holds two hard drives and two optical drives.  I used a
   3.5' to 5.25' adapter to place a hard drive on top of the CDROM,
   and I booted from a SATA to compact flash adapter, so I have my OS
   on solid state storage, and the three hard drives were in a RAID5.

   The SATA to compact flash adapter (and the two Transcend 4GB
   industrial are available for $50).

   The motherboard is only three months old, because the old one died
   during transport and I sent it in to Biostar for RMA and I needed
   something during the month they poked at it.  In the end Biostar
   send me a new motherboard back.

   You just need to add hard drives to this and turn it on.  It is
   also excellent as a media center PC.

Second up - low-fat bones server $100:

   Case:        Antec NSK-2480
   Motherboard: BIOSTAR TA790GX XE AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI Micro ATX
                (the new motherboard I received from Biostar)

   You'll need CPU, Heatsink, RAM and hard drives.  This will work
   great as a media center PC.

Third - router / wireless access point $250

   Case:        Antec NSK-2480
   Motherboard: VIA PC-1500  (the CPU is soldered on the motherboard)
   RAM:         2 GB
   Ethernet:    1x Gigabit ethernet on the motherboard
                4x Fast Ethernet (on a SUN qfe PCI card)
   Wireless:    Airlink AWLH5075 Wireless N (atheros based, drivers
                available for Linux, OpenBSD)
   Optical:     Samsung? Dual-layer DVD-RW

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163