Pulse audio works well as previously mentioned. Can't say I've done
what you're trying to do, but pulse is similar to ESD but newer and
meant to be very network friendly. I use it both locally and to stream
music to a laptop- it works great for this.

I'd imagine you would point your audio out device to pulse which would
be configured to connect to a pulse daemon that has the sound card /
output you want to physically use. From what I recall about the
initial setup is that I set up both client and server graphically with
some of the pulse gui's for gnome and copied a special cookie file via
ssh to the client.