On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 11:51:17AM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> > i want to watch dvd's on one box and hear the sound out the soundcard on
> > another.  shouldn't that be simple?
>
> To me that sounds very difficult and I'm not sure why it seems simple.
> How does a player redirect sound to another machine and maintain near
> perfect synchronization with the video?

How does the player send the video to the video card and the sound to
the sound card and makes sure both reach our senses nearly
simultaneously?

What difference does it make if they are on the same machine or on the
network?

[Yes, I know the extra latency and the packet loss, but on a local
network they should not pose much of a problem.]

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163