On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 12:11:19PM -0500, Dean.Benjamin at mm.com wrote:
> I had believed that a hard drive could be securely erased by multiple
> over-writes with random bit patterns, such that not even the NSA could
> salvage anything useful.
>
> Chuck, when you said "Not so", you made me sit up in surprise.  I am
> genuinely curious.  Could you refer us to technical articles that
> explain how experts can retrieve data from drives that have been
> subjected to rigorous shredding (eg, with utilities such as DBAN
> http://www.dban.org/)?  (If indeed that is your claim.)

I don't know what Chuck knows and what he can tell, but I do know that
some parts of the US government used to take all the hard drives out
from computers before selling them for reuse or scrap.  I presume the
hard drives were shredded in large batches or hammered-in in small
batches.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163