I had believed that a hard drive could be securely erased by multiple over-writes with random bit patterns, such that not even the NSA could salvage anything useful.

Chuck, when you said "Not so", you made me sit up in surprise.  I am genuinely curious.  Could you refer us to technical articles that explain how experts can retrieve data from drives that have been subjected to rigorous shredding (eg, with utilities such as DBAN http://www.dban.org/)?  (If indeed that is your claim.)

Hoping to avoid a flamewar -- Dean