On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 00:18:01 -0600, Jima wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 12:45 PM, Jeremy Olexa wrote:

>>   You made a critical mistake by searching for "dd-wrt" - go
>> straight to
>>   the supported list and find a model you like.
>
>   I wouldn't call it a "critical mistake."  Manufacturers have been
> known to change core hardware with little to no fanfare -- often

 Okok, 'critical' was the wrong word. What I meant was:

 - Searching for "dd-wrt" *and* relying only on only those search
 results won't give you the whole picture.
 - If a company actually lists dd-wrt on the box, they might (or might
 not) charge a premium for this.
 - A company claiming dd-wrt on the box might not mean that is it "easy"
 to install the OS - there might be caveats footnoted on the HCL/wiki.
 (eg, only use TFTP to install/upgrade on Belkin, etc)

 What I normally do is find a model that I like given my requirements
 (price, hardware, etc), then look on the HCL to see if it is supported
 with the OS that I want to put on it. If not, find a new model. Seems to
 work given the expansive HCL that dd-wrt claims. Well..I've only shopped
 for routers once :)

 -Jeremy