On 05/18/2010 09:49 AM, Erik Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Harry Penner <hpenner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It automatically kills TCP connections that last longer than 5 minutes?
>> That's crazy!
>>
>> Why does it do that?  To protect against SYN scans overloading the server or
>> something similar?
>>
> More likely because the device has a woefully inadequate amount of
> RAM, and it's trying to avoid resource starvation.
>
> Personally, I switched from DD-WRT to PFsense running on a PCEngines
> alix board a year and a half ago and haven't looked back. PFSense is
> FreeBSD-based, and in my opinion is a much better routing/firewall
> platform than DD-WRT, both in terms of stability and feature set.
>
> Check it out if you have a few spare cycles!

I'll keep that in mind if I get another box I want to use instead of my
Linksys router. In the meantime I tested with my Linux box directly on
the net and still get the TCP Duplicate Acks, so I don't think it's my
router. Now I'm going to try a few other sites that accept secure copies
and see what happens and if it's a port thing or not. I'm also having
issues with my verizon network extender dropping calls after awhile as
well, so I'm thinking comcast is throttling long connections.