On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 01:56:58PM -0500, Steve Cayford wrote:
> Jeremy wrote:
> >> There is no language that is "uber alles".   The domain of the problem
> >> you're solving often points to the languages you might consider.
> >
> > Yes indeed.  Each has pros/cons.
> >

> Don't forget COBOL. I guess that would be the domain of legacy banking
> systems.

Good point:  All languages have drawbacks, but this does not mean that
all languages have benefits.

My COBOL story:  Back in the early-to-mid 90s, I was assigned to help a
cow-orker with a project to translate a client's application out of
COBOL.  Into Visual Basic.  And the client wanted to do it in two
stages.  Stage 1 (which was in progress) was to create a VB app that
exactly duplicated the look, feel, and behavior of the existiing COBOL.
One gigantic form with a zillion textboxes and no event handlers on any
of them, just a mile-long handler to run when the user pressed 'enter'
that did everything and then cleared the form.

I don't recall whether stage 1 was ever completed, but stage 2
(re-rewriting into something that actually looked and behaved like a
modern desktop application) never happened.

--
Dave Sherohman