Matthew F. Unger cried from the depths of the abyss...

> Well, last week, I finally broke something really well and both my bosses and I are kind of fed up with me taking a while to figure
> things out. So, I’m looking for advice on where to go to get something a little more systemic and formalized than my pokey
> RTFM-whenever-something-breaks.
>
> Tell me, O Great and Wise TCLUGers, what say ye?

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but IMHO your OH
Sh*t! RTFM because I have no idea what just happened and it doesn't work
anymore is the best way to learn.  Believe me when I say it won't happen
again, and because you were forced to learn while in the frying pan your
understanding will grow.  This is of course more stressful than a
classroom environment.

I was/am kind of in the same situation but the reverse.  I am a long lost
Unix guy who before I knew it am maintaining several racks of M$ servers.
I have been in a few situation (Exchange migration gone bad, Citrix Pres.
Server explosions, Domain Controllers not cooperating, etc.) that made me
pull my hair out.  With the help of manuals & Thank You God for Google I
was able to always overcome the problem.

As for training, I don't really have any suggestions.

One suggestion might be to move your distro choice over to a
corporate/enterprise support setup.  Red Hat & Suse offer excellent support
(cha-ching cha-ching) for a fee of course.  At least if something happens
that seems out of your league you can pick up the phone and scream
"HELP!".

One more piece of advice is to collect some(all) junker equipment laying
around your job (old pc's, laptops, servers, network items, etc).  Setup a
test environment using the junk.  You can basically
duplicate your production environment on the junkers, and experiment on
the test systems first to make sure things will really work.  This is what
I do (M$ & LINUX), and I cannot tell you how it has saved me time when
unforeseen things happen due to changes made, etc.  No one cares (or even
know) if you break a test system(s).
As you discovered, doing this in the real world production environment will
only result in you being invited into your bosses office with the old "How
are you?  Why don't you go ahead & shut the door and have a seat."
routine.

If the junker test environment isn't an option, move your day to day PC to
a 64-bit OS.  Toss in as much RAM as you can, and load up VMware.  This
was you can still do the test environment all on your PC.

All this being said, why don't you explain what your problem is you are
having, and see if we can lend you a hand in getting your stuff back on the road.

Good Luck Brother!

B-o-B