> Define "high-quality videos"? Really 2D is most of what I do. I run
> compiz in gnome, but don't need to. I don't do any 3D gaming. I watch
> videos and TV off the web and that's it. Mostly I write software with
> the machine.

Since I'm getting into MythTV, I get lots of 1080i content - ~ 7 GB
per hour of video.  Stuff that I want to store, I usually encode to
H264.  Both of those take lots of horsepower to decode and
de-interlace for display.  If you can't offload it to the videocard,
the load will eat a pretty major processing power from the system.  I
have laptops that are only a couple years old that can't decode this
type of video at full screen resolution without stuttering / dropping
frames.

But in my mythtv box, with a cheap motherboard, a cheap celeron
processor, and a NVidia GT 220, I have about 5% CPU usage while
playing it.

The other thing you will find is motherboards that have even the best
intel video chipsets (or boards that support the new Intel i3 / i5 /
i7 processors) are quite expensive... and they don't even come close
to the performance of a $70 standalone ATI or NVidia video card.  I
mean... try to find an online benchmark.  They are such different
worlds of performance, they usually don't even compare them with each
other.  Integrated graphics are just really, really bad, compared to
add-on cards.  If you want to play any modern 3D game, they just don't
cut it.

But if your mostly writing software with it, I suspect that none of
this will really matter... probably your most important questions are
can it handle my monitor resolution (if you have a high resolution
monitor) and/or can it handle multiple monitors, if you typically use
more than one.

But if you want to watch full-screen online flash video - the more
power the better - this is funny only because it is so true

http://xkcd.com/619/

The hoverover tooltip even specifically mentions the intel driver :-)

> I'd prefer open, but right now my real problem is that the driver is
> broken. Here's one of many posts about the problem.
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=140371

Ugh.  That sucks... I've got several machines running NVidia, and have
not encountered this... one of the threads I followed from their
seemed to be blaming the SATA chipset, as it afflicted Gigabyte and
ASUS boards using particular video cards and the same chipset... but
ASUS reportedly fixed the problem with a BIOS update.  But no one
seems to have the real answer yet.  Then again, a PCI SATA controller
for $15 is probably a quicker way to avoid the headaches.

Dan