On 03/29/2010 03:18 PM, Dan Armbrust wrote:
>>> Not only is the hardware interface publicly documented, but the open source
>>> drivers are also provisioned right from the hardware vendor.
>>>
>>> Here's the hardware support matrix.  http://intellinuxgraphics.org/user.html
>>>

> Now if the hardware and drivers didn't suck, things would be great.
>
> To clarify, they are probably fine for 2D.  But for anything 3D... too
> expensive, too poor of performance.  Also, probably lacking when it
> comes to watching high-quality videos.

Define "high-quality videos"? Really 2D is most of what I do. I run
compiz in gnome, but don't need to. I don't do any 3D gaming. I watch
videos and TV off the web and that's it. Mostly I write software with
the machine.

> I've had bad experiences with ATIs drivers (on windows and linux)
That's too bad.
>  and
> have since only bought NVidia.

Understood.
> With the NVidia driver, everything just works beautifully.  I can
> decode full HD, or h.264 encoded video with close to 0 CPU usage.
>
> Driver not "open"?  eh.  I don't care.  I'd much rather have a closed
> driver that is actually supported and takes full advantage of the
> hardware, then an "open" driver that sucks.

I'd prefer open, but right now my real problem is that the driver is
broken. Here's one of many posts about the problem.

Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital
signature. See http://www.gnupg.org for more information.