On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Robert Nesius wrote:

> As mentioned, heavy math and statistics points in another direction,
> such as R, matlab, or specialized libraries in other languages.

Nice comments (deleted here for space).  I would add to the line above
that GNU Octave (octave.org) is very nice free software system that
attempts to clone MATLAB functionality so that it can run MATLAB code
unchanged.  It also has very nice features that MATLAB does not have, and
a ton of readily available functions and packages written by others.

For me, in my work, with the people I know, I'm pushing R over Octave, but
if I were in engineering, especially signal processing, I think Octave
would probably be the better choice.  Also, for people who know MATLAB,
Octave will be very easy to learn, to say the least.

Mike