There is no language that is "uber alles".   The domain of the problem
you're solving often points to the languages you might consider.

If you're working right next to the bare metal of hardware, you'll probably
be working in C or C++.   Recently I learned via my job there is a rich
programming environment and library suite centered around the visual basic
environment for interacting with PLC's.  I never would have guessed, but
it's there and it's big.

If you're moving outside the realm of real-time, C & C++ are still options,
but I personally find working with statically typed languages a bit of a
drag.  So I look more towards the "scripted languages" then.  Python, Perl,
Ruby, etc...   I know Perl the best because that's what I had to support the
most at my previous job.  But after over ten years of perl and debugging
perl scripts, I believe perl does not lend itself to maintainable code very
well.  It takes skill to write good perl, whereas Python seems lend itself
to better code from the average joe more quickly.   But really, what drives
me to the scripted languages the most is simply the rich regular-expression
engines that are very easy to use.

As mentioned, heavy math and statistics points in another direction, such as
R, matlab, or specialized libraries in other languages.

If I'm schlepping files around and manipulating processes, then I'll do what
I can in bash.

And if I'm writing setuid wrappers, I'm in C again.   If the
unpredictability of the performance impacts of garbage collectors and so
forth are an issue, then of course I'll find a language that lets me turn it
off and manage my own memory (such as D) or go back to C.  Actually - I'd
just use C.  D is cool, but not mainstream enough yet.

I avoid .NET and Java as much as possible.  Visual Basic is only to be
tolerated when at my place of employment and I'm working with pre-existing
tools.

-Rob