On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Steve Cayford <strayf at freeshell.org> wrote:
> I would second the perl vote. One-liners, system administration, web
> applications, it runs the gamut and scales well. Just follow best practices
> to keep code clean and manageable.

I'll third perl.  The synax (mostly) makes sense, and you have the
option to precompile or not.  I wrote a really weird app for work in
Perl (my first REAL coding project) and I really like coding in it.
Much more than PHP, which isn't bastardized perl so much as just a bad
idea.

Serious work (hardware calls, memory mangement) sometimes requires
C/C++, though I actually had better luck with perl handling PID forks
and stuff that I would expect C++ to do well.  My C++ code actually
crashed after iteration #2 of vfork(), never figured out why.  Now
remember, I have no clue what I'm doing.  I don't know why my code
works, it just happens to.  I probably could have made C++ work well
but I gave up and went back to perl.

Python was all the rage for awhile, and has some really nice
characteristics.   After writing an app in perl I really didn't feel
like changing course and re-writing the whole thing in python because
someone told me it was better.  Again, YMMV.  I really don't know
why/if python is awesome.

When all else fails, I go back to my DOS 3.2/GW-BASIC floppy set and
start hacking the code the way I did when I first learned to program.

Brian