I apologize for my previous double post.

Another good resource is the #apache IRC channel that runs on the irc.freenode.net

Some information that I left out in my previous e-mail was the reason for compiling from source was the need for a particular older version of Apache to run third party applications.

Compiling from source you'll learn to define alternate installation directories, compile/manually add additional modules, make sure you have an init.d script to start Apache on boot, and troubleshoot amongst other tasks.

David