On Friday, March 26, 2010  9:15 AM, Scott Downing wrote:

>Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:15:29 -0500
>From: Scott Downing
>cc:
>Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Linux traniing/mentoring options
>
>Actually I'd like to hear about some training options in the area too, not really for myself but for others in our IT department. We have a cluster of linux boxes that I'm the only one in the entire company that knows how to maintain.

I have not seen any local training as far as just an Apache training course.

I had barely any hands on experience with Apache when suddenly I had to maintain a group of Apache servers in production and testing environments.

During this time my first concern with managing Apache is security then functionality or vice versa.

To make my story short, I dived into it by purchasing a handful of books from amazon including "Preventing Web Attacks with Apache" which walks you though compilation and including using the mod_security module for hardening:

http://www.modsecurity.org/

My recommendation for learning is to download Apache source and compile this for your personal test box. With aid from the book(s) I mentioned you can start with a minimal of modules then little by little add more modules as needed.

Although many will disagree and instead will tell you to just use the apache provided by your package manager, this will probably be true if

1. You know how to enable/disable (un)necessary modules.
2. You're familiar with hardening Apache
3. You're familiar implementing SSL certificates.
4. You're familiar with virtual hosts.

I guess they're too many things to list without getting more information about that exactly you are trying to accomplish exactly.

I do have other books in mind just can't remember the names but if interested I can send them to you off/on line.

By the way I may be able to provide some up to date reading material from a well known security course on hardening Apache if you are interested.

Thanks,
David

"Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds" - Einstein

"Cuanta estupidez en tan poco cerebro!"