On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Andrew S. Zbikowski <andyzib at gmail.com>wrote:

> AT&T in the Twin Cities Metro has been solid. I don't get downtown much so
> I can't say how good or bad things are there. The AT&T horror stories are
> coming out of San Francisco and New York where the dense tech-savvy
> populations with smartphones have pushed the networks past the breaking
> point.

Here in the St. Cloud and Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area, I've had very
good performance with my iPhone 3gs.  When I've left the 3g network the Edge
network has worked pretty well, so long as I can get it.  Once I leave I-94
in the western part of the state I often have no signal and it gets
sketchy.  But I'm in the 3G zone 98.68735333% of the time, and when I'm not
in the 3G zone I'm often "gone fishing" so I'm happy to be "off the grid".

Rumor has it the 4.0 release of the iPhone OS will support multitasking,
potentially making the iPad a netbook crusher.  Of course, if you want to
hack/modify your phone and geek out with it, the walled garden that is the
iPhone is perhaps not for you.  Me personally, I can't stand fail user
interfaces.  When I help colleagues with their blackberries or HT Touches
the user interface inspires thoughts of seppuku.

Brief aside: The App Store has some amazing stuff in it.  While visiting an
old friend from Apple, we wondered what the music we were listening to while
eating out was.  He pulled out his iPhone, held it up in the air, and then
30 seconds later told me the name of the song and artist.  Turns out there
is an App (Shazam) that does reverse-lookups on music.  Later that night I
was in the hotel bar and wondered what the cool music I was listening too
was.  Two minutes later I was downloading it into my phone.

-Rob