> As a sidenote, that's pretty much why I was never willing to get into
> Audible. MP3 had already been around for AGES, why the heck would I pay
> for something that uses a custom player? That's just ridiculous in this
> day and age - and even in the day-and-age it was 5 years ago.

My understanding is the Audible format is MP3 in a DRM wrapper and some
extra stuff for chapters markers, resume where left off, etc. that had to be
implemented to make an experience equivalent to or superior to books on
tape.

Audible's proprietary **format and DRM has yet to get in the way of
enjoyment as long as I have a device that supports the Audible format.
Audible makes its SDK available to device makers, it's up to the device
maker to build in support. $20 a month for 20-40 hours of fiction or
non-fiction isn't a bad deal. Much better than what's on the radio most days
while driving to and from work. :)

That's the way technology works. Sometimes you get stuck with a legacy
solution that was created before a standard was created or achieved wide
adoption, or overcoming the inertia of of a solution (Flash Player anyone?)
is extremely difficult.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
IT Outhouse Blog Thing | http://www.itouthouse.com