On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Dan Rue wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 03:28:08PM -0500, John Trammell wrote:

>> I'd be interested in reviving the TCLUG website.  If Real-Time can
>> provide a VM with the basics, I'd set up a Drupal instance.
>
> I'm opposed to a dynamic site.  Here's why:
>
> - It'll just fall out of date immediately and be either a security risk
>  or a pathetic website or both (for instance check out tcphp.org's
>  sweet drupal site!).

Is it possible to configure it so that items are entered with expiration
dates after which they will not appear, and when nothing has been
submitted, that hasn't expired, some other message is shown?

> - The mailing list is the heart of tclug.  Trying to move that to the
>  web fails every time (i.e. forums).

I like the list the way it is except that I don't think we have a web
archive -- am I wrong?  That would be a worthwhile project.  I've used
MHonArc to make archives.  That works pretty well, and I'd be willing to
work on that for TCLUG.  The thing I'm not as good at is setting up search
for the web archive, but maybe someone else will have some ideas.

> - tclug.org isn't missing technology.  If we needed a fully featured
>  dynamic website, we'd already have it.  The fact that nobody has cared
>  enough to notice and/or fix the mysql connection for N years is proof.

I've noticed that it was out of date, and I didn't like it, but I didn't
want to fix it or come across as a complainer, so I didn't say anything.
I've seen this with other LUGs that focus on the email list and don't have
a lot of meetings.  I don't think your argument is quite right, though.
It's not a question of *needing* a dynamic site.  If someone wants to
build one, then why not let that person build one.  Maybe it will be nice,
we'll like it, we'll use it, and we'll even have a meeting.  Who knows?
I don't want to discourage people.

> But that doesn't mean we can't have a nice site!  We just have to do it
> with an honest look at what we are and what we need.
>
> I suggest (albeit without being willing to assist with it :), a static
> site that simply introduces our group and provides links to more
> information (mailing list, facebook group, linkedin group, etc).  Use
> those other social tools to provide member directories and dynamic
> content.
>
> For instance, you can have a static site, but include a twitter result
> for the search phrase #tclug (or other keywords).  This way it has fresh
> content, but isn't a security risk, requires no maintenance, and doesn't
> immediately fall out of date.

OK.  You don't oppose having dynamic content, then, but you don't want it
on the front page of the site.

Mike