On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 03:28:08PM -0500, John Trammell wrote:
> I'd be interested in reviving the TCLUG website.  If Real-Time can
> provide a VM with the basics, I'd set up a Drupal instance.

I'm opposed to a dynamic site.  Here's why:

- It'll just fall out of date immediately and be either a security risk
  or a pathetic website or both (for instance check out tcphp.org's
  sweet drupal site!).
- The mailing list is the heart of tclug.  Trying to move that to the
  web fails every time (i.e. forums).
- Our strength is in locality, not any intrinsic knowledge or benefit.
  That is, we're not a resource for linux - there's many better
  resources on the internet.  We're a local club.
- tclug.org isn't missing technology.  If we needed a fully featured
  dynamic website, we'd already have it.  The fact that nobody has cared
  enough to notice and/or fix the mysql connection for N years is proof.

But that doesn't mean we can't have a nice site!  We just have to do it
with an honest look at what we are and what we need.

I suggest (albeit without being willing to assist with it :), a static
site that simply introduces our group and provides links to more
information (mailing list, facebook group, linkedin group, etc).  Use
those other social tools to provide member directories and dynamic
content.

For instance, you can have a static site, but include a twitter result
for the search phrase #tclug (or other keywords).  This way it has fresh
content, but isn't a security risk, requires no maintenance, and doesn't
immediately fall out of date.

Dan