On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Jim Crumley wrote:

> On Wed, March 3, 2010 6:25 pm, Mike Miller wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Jim Crumley wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 01:17:36PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, accidentally sending to list doesn't happen much now, but it will
>>> likely happen more if this change is made.
>>
>> More than never?  And what are we going to see?  I'm on a bunch of
>> lists that do Reply-To munging and we aren't having a problem.
>
> Yep. Never. Not once.
>
> http://archives.mn-linux.org/pipermail/tclug-list/2001-September/032799.html
> http://archives.mn-linux.org/pipermail/tclug-list/2001-September/031643.html
> http://archives.mn-linux.org/pipermail/tclug-list/2003-March/000368.html

OMG!  The horrors.  It happened twice in 2001 and then again in 2003.
Let's review these errors starting with this one...

http://archives.mn-linux.org/pipermail/tclug-list/2001-September/032799.html

...this is what was sent to the list by mistake:

"Do you think you could help me out for one minute? I have a small problem
with smoothwall. My question is this, I cant get out to the net from my
network. I can go to the smooth wall box and ping the work friom it but
can't from anyother box. All the boxs on the local entwork can see
eachother and even see the smooth box, but nothing out. I know very little
about gateways and nat ..... etc so I have not clue on how to set up port
forwarding ..ect. I have been reading but not sure how to get it to work
with dhcp from my isp.

"smoothwall IP's DHCP and internal 192.168.1.1(green). The etc/host file
has only 2 entries, 1 localhost 127.... 2nd 192.168.1.1 should there not
be another entry for the DHCP from my ISP? what should it be? It's DHCP so
I can't hard code it..... also if I do a route -n it only gives me the
internal network IP 192.168.1.1, should there not be another entry for the
DHCP? so it knows where to route outgoing request?"

Wow.  That was a huge embarrassment.  Here's example #2:

Jay Kline wrote:

> oops...  sorry.  That wasnt ment to go here.  Since this came out...
> may as well say to everyone that I just got engaged!
>
> On Tuesday 04 September 2001 07:48 pm, you wrote:
>
>> I just wanted to say I love you!  I hope you are having a good evening,
>> and I hope you are readdy for class tomorrow.  This semester should be
>> a good one, even though our schedules suck.  If it ever gets rough,
>> just remember I am here for you.  Always.

Maybe I'm a nut case, but I like seeing a message like that now and then.
It's fun and it humanizes us.  But I don't know how the Reply-To feature
caused this error -- was his fiancee also on the list?  One more:

http://archives.mn-linux.org/pipermail/tclug-list/2003-March/000368.html

I can't tell what happened there, unless his earlier messages were about
Gnome.  I think this one might be a case where the messages were intended
for the list, but they had been stuck in a mail queue and were out of
date.

Anyway, again, I am not worried about the possibility that someone will
accidentally send a message to the list that was meant for someone else.

Mike