On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:20, Chuck Cole <cncole at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Check the web and correct those sources.  This is not my invention: I used several web references to refresh my memories from German and linguistics.  This is prevalent, if not entirely precise and accurate.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Language/2006_December_11

i have read the above reference and all it is people recalling, as you
did, hearing or reading about this word but no actual citations to
bodies of work using this word.

> My German teacher back in college is where I first heard this, and later in linguistic refrences.  Perhaps you don't have enough gray hair.  This *is* a linguist's issue, and you say that is not your strength.  Long concatenations were common German usage 40 or more years ago, but I would not be surprised to find that modern usage has moved away from that as technology lingo became more commonplace and concatenation too cumbersome.
>
> Sorry, but yours is the specious and undocumented bullshit.

While not orthodox, i did fact check my arguments against the German
and English wikipedia. I ask you to refute at least one of my
arguments before dismissing them.

As for my German, it has been many years since i have last lived there
but i converse in German with Germans on a regular monthly basis. I
know what these long concatenations are, i even used a common modern
example in one in my arguments. I did not call bullshit on the length
of the word, merely on the fact that the word does not seem to make
sense, and therefore does not seem likely. I also provided a reference
to what the first German tank was called. What part of my argument is
specious? What part of it is undocumented? Do you need me to come to
your house and read the wikipedia articles for you?

here are the articles that i have read about this,neither even
mentions this word.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_(1914–1933)

and here is the article on the LastKraftWagen that i also mentioned as
an example:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/LKW